Housing Division

Muckleshoot Housing Authority
Ama Tuatoo Director
38037 158th Ave SE
Auburn, WA 98092
Phone: 253-833-7616

MIT Housing offers qualified tribal members a host of services in locating, purchasing, and maintaining their homes.

Programs offered include:

Emergency Health & Safety Assistance - The Tribal Housing program provides members with emergency housing repairs related to health and safety issues. Examples of services provided include fixing water leaks, dealing with plumbing or drainage problems, and emergency furnace maintenance and repairs.  To be eligible, you must be an owner-occupant and a tribal member.

Home Repair & Improvements - The Tribal Housing Program provides owner-occupant tribal members with a housing assistance grant up to $90,000 of which $20,000 is reserved for health and safety items. Grants may be used for a variety of different projects, including:

  • Repair of structural damage
  • Replacement or repair of roof
  • Replacement or repair of exterior siding and paint
  • Addition or remodel of bathrooms for handicapped accessibility
  • Addition of a wheelchair ramp for handicapped accessibility
  • Addition or replacement of secondary heating source
  • Replacement or repair of windows
  • Fencing installation

ELIGIBILITY: You must be a tribal member and an owner-occupant that has not already spent the $90,000 allotment.

Download Application

Homebuyer Down Payment Assistance - Tribal home buyers may use $70,000 of the housing assistant grant towards a down payment on a new home, closing cost and other fees involved. Whether building new or buying a previously owned home (stick-built), tribal members may qualify for a grant to build or purchase on trust, allotted, or fee lands.  Any funds not used when buying the home will remain available for mortgage reduction, repairs, improvements or additions to a home. ELIGIBILITY: Tribal members who have qualified for a mortgage loan with a lender, and have not already spent the $70,000 allotment may apply for the grant.  The appraised value of the home must be equal to or greater than the amount of the tribal grant to be used plus the amount of the mortgage loan.

Download Application

Muckleshoot Housing Loan Program - Home Loans at 1% interest are available for purchases within a 30-mile radius of the former tribal hall chimney (located at 39015 172nd Avenue SE, Auburn, Washington 98092). Loans provided include:

  • New construction of single-family homes on tribal lands or individual allotted lands
  • Purchase of new and previously occupied stick-built or modular single-family homes.
  • Refinancing of existing home loans
  • Equity loans for rehabilitation or renovation
  • Land loans for the sole purpose of purchase of buildable land for the construction of a new dwelling unit to be used as the Borrower’s primary residence upon completion

ELIGIBILITY: Limited to tribal members who have completed the Housing Authority's home buyer training course, and meet income, down payment, and credit conditions, which financially satisfy the MHLP loan requirements.

Download Loan Application Documents

Home Loan Checklist

Uniform Residential Loan Application

Uniform Residential Loan Application - Additional Borrower

Release of Information Authorization

Muckleshoot Tribal Credit Program - The program is here to help tribal members repair credit, consolidate and reduce existing debt balances, pay off debt balance with high interest rates, and purchase/refinance motor vehicles and other titled collateral.

Email your applications to:  tribal.credit@muckleshoot.nsn.us

Download Application

Muckleshoot Individual Development Account - The IDA Program assists with Homeownership, Home Improvements, Education (includes payment towards student loans), Vehicle Purchase, Vehicle Pay-Off, Debt Consolidation, and fines for low-to-moderate income persons, through a match for such funds.  The program provides ongoing credit and budget counseling and training.

Download Application

Elder, Disabled, and Veteran New Home Construction – Muckleshoot Tribal Elders 55+, Veterans, and permanently disabled members may qualify for the new construction of a home on their land.  Eligible applicants must have a BIA approved Lease or Deed to Trust land with proper egress and ingress including infrastructure to support new construction.  Geographical restrictions do exist.

Elder, Disabled, and Veteran Mortgage Assistance – Muckleshoot Tribal Elders 55+, Veterans, and permanently disabled members may qualify for the pay down or payoff of their current mortgage.  Pay off amounts are based on an average of the costs to provide new construction to Muckleshoot Tribal Elders, Veterans, and permanently disabled members.  Geographical restrictions do exist

Download Application

Elder, Disabled, and Veteran Landless Housing Program – Muckleshoot Tribal Elders 55+, Veterans, and permanently disabled members who currently don’t own or have interest in land or have a mortgage, may qualify for a Lifetime Estate.  The Tribe has designated specific units to provide Lifetime Estates to qualified landless applicants.

Download Application

Elder, Disabled, and Veteran Homeowners Insurance Program – Muckleshoot Tribal Elders 55+, Veterans, and permanently disabled members qualify for assistance to pay their annual homeowners insurance policies.  Assistance of up to $1,000 annually is provided paid directly to the insurer.

Download Application

Rental Housing & Voucher Assistance – Muckleshoot Housing Authority currently maintains a waiting list for rental properties owned and managed by the Tribe and Vouchers that provide subsidized rent in private markets.  The Tribe currently owns 287 rental properties which offer low rent opportunities to the Tribal membership.  Water, sewer and garbage are included in the rent.  Rents are income based and include utility allowances.

Download Application

Housing Stabilization – Housing Stabilization assists Muckleshoot Tribal members with move-in fees, including first month’s rent, deposit, and last month’s rent if required for move-in.  The assisted property must be located in King or Pierce County.  Applicants must show sufficient income to meet the monthly obligations, be enrolled a minimum of 5-years, participate in Housing’s Good Neighboring course, and sign a payback agreement committing to a 6-month minimum at the assisted property.

Download Application